Gas water heaters are extremely reliable and can last for many years without problems. However, like other types of mechanical equipment, these water heaters can still have occasional problems -- Some are easy to fix, while others require professional hot water heater repair in Cleveland.
Be extremely careful working on a gas water heater. Natural gas can be explosive. If you are uncomfortable working with natural gas or the situation is beyond your skills, leave it to the professionals.
Six Common Gas Water Heater Issues
Here are some of the more common problems your gas water heater might have and how to troubleshoot them:
- No hot water -- You should check to see if the pilot light is out. If it is out, follow the manufacturer's directions for lighting it. If that doesn't work, you may have gas flow problems which are best left to the professionals.
- Not enough hot water -- This could be something as simple as too much demand at one time. Another problem could be a broken dip tube. You can check this by undoing the cold water inlet and removing the tube. If it's broken, replace it.
- Rust-colored water -- It is likely a deteriorating sacrificial anode rod. These rods dissolve slowly to prevent corrosion inside the tank. Replacing the rod and flushing the tank should help.
- Water smells like rotten eggs -- The anode rod can emit hydrogen gas as it dissolves, causing bacteria to grow in the tank sediment and generating a foul odor. Flushing the system with a hydrogen peroxide solution should help.
- Low rumbling noise -- This usually means the water is boiling inside the tank. An excessive build-up of sediment in the bottom of the tank is usually the culprit. Flush the tank and refill.
- Water leaking out from underneath -- Check to see if there is a leak at the pressure relief valve or from a nearby pipe or plumbing connection. If there is no leak found, then the tank is most likely leaking, which requires a complete replacement.
If you need hot water heater repair in Cleveland, contact the professionals at P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling.