Cleveland, along with the rest of the Midwest, experienced one of the harshest winters this year thanks to the polar vortex. Countless residents in the area experienced frozen pipes and damage to their homes because of furnace failure in frigid conditions. As these homeowners learned the hard way, it's better to be proactive than to wait for your furnace to break. Watch for these seven warning signs that furnace replacement may be on the horizon so you can start shopping for a replacement right away.
- Age: If your furnace is more than 15 years old, it's a good idea to start browsing around. It's much more pleasant to make furnace replacement a planned home improvement rather than a frantic emergency purchase.
- Gas and electric bills: Rising energy prices is one reason for higher utility bills, but worn out equipment could be another. Furnaces gradually lose their capacity as they age, especially if they haven't been maintained properly. As you peruse your bill, keep in mind that the extra money you're paying the utility company each month could go toward a furnace replacement.
- Recent repairs: Furnaces require more repairs in the last two years of their lives. If you've already recently spent a few hundred dollars just to keep the furnace up and running, consider throwing in the towel the next time the unit breaks down.
- Comfort: Aging furnaces lose the ability to distribute air properly around your home, resulting in temperature variations from room to room.
- Family health: Unexplained headaches, flu-like symptoms and dizziness could signal that carbon monoxide is leaking into your home. Call an HVAC technician without delay and consider a furnace replacement if an immediate solution isn't available.
- Furnace noises: Chirping, screeching, clanging, rattling or other furnace noises could be a sign that your furnace is near the end of its life.
- Humidity: Your home may feel stale and dry if the furnace is losing its ability to moisturize and clean the air.
If comfort, health and energy savings are important to you, please contact P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling and start shopping for a furnace replacement today. Four generations of the Wadsworth family have been serving the greater Cleveland area for more than 77 years.