The pollution outside may be nasty, but it is often the air inside your house that is more dangerous. One of the prime culprits inside homes in the Cleveland area is mold, and one of the best ways to deal with indoor mold is with a UV-light air cleaner in your heating and air conditioning (HVAC) system.
Mold can cause a number of health issues that UV light can help you avoid. Here are some of them.
- Allergies: The most common ailments usually include some form of allergy symptoms. Sneezing and a runny nose are easily ignored, but a rash and chronically clogged sinuses are more difficult to forget.
- Irritant: Prolonged exposure to mold can cause a burning sensation in the eyes, nose and throat.
- Disease: In addition to triggering asthma attacks, mold can also weaken the immune system, allowing infection from any number of bacteria or viruses.
The best long-term solution is to use a UV light in your HVAC system. UV light has been used for years in hospitals and laboratories to avoid excess mold and other biological hazards, but there are now residential systems on the market, too.
Here's how it works: As air travels through your heating and cooling system, it's exposed to the UV light; this light overloads the mold and other impurities, killing them, rendering them inert and allowing them to be trapped by your air filter.
Often the UV light is positioned by the cooling coil in your home comfort system. This is a particularly good location because it is a place where the conditions for biological material such as mold are especially good. By installing a UV system at this location, the coil will be kept clear and clean of these substances, not only improving the indoor air quality, but also improving the efficiency of your heating and cooling systems.
If you have any questions about UV light, feel free to call the UV-light specialists at P. K. Wadsworth. They are always glad to help. And, if you are thinking of upgrading your home colling system, contact us today for great savings.
Photo credit: Beo Beyond