Although many of the incentives either expired or were reduced on December 31, 2010, tax credits are still available on high-efficiency HVAC equipment. Even though they must meet certain energy efficiency requirements, their lower operating costs plus the dollar-for-dollar tax credit still makes them a very good investment.
HVAC systems eligible for 2011 tax credits include:
- Fuel Furnaces–Natural gas, propane or oil furnaces with an AFUE (Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency) rating of 95 are eligible for federal tax credits of up to $150.
- Hot Water Boilers–Oil, natural gas or propane boilers with the AFUE rating of 95 are also eligible for a federal tax credit of $150.
- Air Circulating Fans–An Advanced Main Air Circulating Fan (smart fan) that uses 2 percent or less of a furnace’s total energy requirement is eligible for up to a $50 credit.
- Central Air Conditioners–Central air package systems with a SEER (Seasonal Energy Efficiency Ratio) rating of 14 or above and an EER (Energy Efficiency Ratio) of 12 or more can earn a homeowner tax credit of $300. Split systems with a 16 or above rating and an EER of 13 qualify for the same tax credits.
- Air Source Heat Pumps–Heat pumps with SEER rating of 15 and above and an EER of 12.5 or more also qualify for federal tax credits of up to $300. Package heat pump systems rated at 14 SEER and 12 EER with an HSPF (Heating Seasonal Performance Factor) of 8 also qualify for the credits.
- Solar Panels and Small Wind Turbines–For qualified solar installations, you can receive a 30 percent tax credit on the total cost> For qualifying wind turbines, you can receive up to $500 per .5 kW of power capacity.
In addition to the HVAC tax credits, geothermal heat pumps meeting requirements qualify for tax credits of 30 percent of the cost for both equipment and installation.
If you have collected on tax credits in the past, you may not be able to collect again. It is always best to check with your tax advisor to be absolutely certain about how your tax situation impacts these investments. Saving on both tax credits and energy bills are great incentives. Get more details by calling P. K. Wadsworth HVAC specialists for information about qualifying for the best savings and tax credits. We can match your needs with the best equipment and get the maximum tax credits for your home.
PK Wadsworth services the Greater Cleveland, OH area including cities Chagrin Falls, Shaker Heights, Eastlake or anywhere in between. To get started, check out our website.