If you’re like most homeowners in Northeast Ohio, right about now you’re probably wondering how much of your hard-earned cash is literally going out the window. Recent bitter-cold temperatures and high winds in this area have been testing the efficiency of our homes’ thermal envelopes in a big way. Wouldn’t it be great to know exactly which areas of your home need improvement?
EnergyStar has a handy resource for homeowners who want to assess their home’s energy use and find solutions for their issues. The Home Energy Yardstick takes five minutes of your time, and can help you achieve better energy savings and home comfort.
It’s a good starting point for reducing your energy bills. Be sure to also check out the EnergyStar Home Advisor feature that recommends home improvements projects for you based on the results of your Yardstick score.
Of course, the best advice you can get about HVAC efficiency comes from a local contractor who understands what Cleveland-area homeowners go through every winter. Here are some energy savings tips that we like to give our customers, especially during the cold winter months:
- Set your thermostat as low as necessary to maintain comfort.
- Clean or replace filters on furnaces at least once a month.
- Keep registers, baseboard heaters and radiators clean, and make sure they’re not blocked by furniture, carpeting or drapes.
- Turn off kitchen, bathroom and other ventilating fans as soon as they have finished removing excess humidity or odors.
- Keep draperies and shades open on south-facing windows during winter to allow sunlight to enter your home; close them at night to block the chill from cold windows.
- If you have summer window screens, remove them for the winter as they block about 25% of solar energy that comes into your home.
- Close off unoccupied rooms and, if possible, turn down the thermostat for that room or zone.
These are low or no-cost ways to increase energy savings and improve your home comfort. During our long Ohio winters, anything you can do to get more from your HVAC system makes a difference!
Contact us at PK Wadsworth for more information about your home’s energy performance. We’ll help you find energy savings solutions that suit both your needs and your budget.
PK Wadsworth services the Greater Cleveland, OH area including cities Chagrin Falls, Shaker Heights, Eastlake or anywhere in between. To get started, check out our website.