If not, you could be losing as much as 30% of your system’s efficiency! When it comes to energy efficiency, choosing the right equipment is only half the story. A quality installation job, done by a qualified HVAC professional, is essential to getting the energy savings and performance you’re looking for from your heating and cooling equipment.One of the best ways to ensure that you get your installation done right is to ask your contractor if he follows the guidelines set down by Energy Star and the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA), and if the following items are covered during the install:
1. Equipment has adequate space around it for maintenance.
2. Proper air flow is tested and verified.
3. Programmable thermostat is set and tested, and instructions for use are provided.
4. Instructions for changing filters are provided.
5. Furnace or boiler is tested for proper venting and burner operation.
6. Refrigerant levels in A/C units are checked and at the proper level.
7. Outside condenser unit is placed in a protected area.
8. Certificate for energy tax credit is provided, if applicable.
Another way to protect yourself from a bad installation job is to insist that all work be detailed in writing. Before the install, go over exactly what the contractor will be doing and check it against resources such as the ACCA QI Specification. It’s not terribly technical and provides guidelines for a quality installation, so be sure to read through it before having any work done.
A quality installation job is vital to the performance of your system. Your heating and cooling equipment can’t operate at its rated efficiency unless it’s installed properly. So, head off future costly maintenance and ensure energy savings with an installation that’s done right.
P.K. Wadsworth services the Greater Cleveland, OH area including cities Chagrin Falls, Shaker Heights, Eastlake or anywhere in between. To get started, check out our website.
Photo by: joeltelling