Well, the time has come to choose a programmable thermostat. We’ve told you about how they can save you money, and how they work. Now you need to find out which one will suit your needs. As with any purchase of equipment for your home, asking a few good questions goes a long way. So, research your options and consult with a professional before making a purchase.
To help you out, we’ve put together a list of pertinent questions to ask:
1. How precise is the thermostat? Even a small variation from the set temperature can affect your energy savings.
2. Can I use the new thermostat with the wiring from my old unit? Bring in your old thermostat to show your supplier. If there’s any re-wiring to do, you want to know about it ahead of time.
3. How easy is it to program? All programmable thermostats come with instructions. Make sure they’re easy to understand so that you program your unit correctly. Incorrect programming may negate your energy savings.
4. Can I install it myself? Just like your furnace or any other home comfort equipment, incorrect installation could spell disaster for the efficiency and safety of your system. Some thermostats are best installed by professionals, so be sure to ask.
5. How is the unit powered? Does it come with a battery backup? If your thermostat is powered by your heating system’s low-voltage control circuit, the clock may become disrupted when the furnace cycles on and off.
Some battery-powered programmable units can be used in conjunction with existing manual units, so be sure to ask us about this option.
Keep in mind that an important factor to consider when choosing your programmable thermostat is, of course, your schedule and lifestyle. It’s a good idea to chart your daily schedule, in order to determine which unit will work best for you. If you need to change your programming often, or want to set each day differently, your thermostat needs to have this capability and it needs to be easy to program.
We hope you’ve found this discussion of programmable thermostats helpful in making a decision. Remember, do your homework, and contact us for more information about how to find the best option for you.
P.K. Wadsworth services the Greater Cleveland, OH area including cities Chagrin Falls, Shaker Heights, Eastlake or anywhere in between. To get started, check out our website.