We get this question a lot. People want to know– are maintenance agreements worth the money? What are the benefits? If you’re like the average Northeast Ohio homeowner, you want your heating and cooling system to perform efficiently without having to think too much about it, regardless of sometimes extreme weather. After all, how many people have the time or expertise to deal with the nuts and bolts of their HVAC equipment?
A maintenance agreement offers peace of mind for Cleveland-area homeowners. Usually, we come out twice a year to do a checkup on our customer’s systems. Here’s a typical checklist:
1. Electrical- Voltage and current on motors is checked and all electrical connections are tightened. This extends the life of electrical components, saving you money on repairs over the life of the system.
2. Lubricate- Proper lubrication of moving parts keeps friction from wearing down motors. This, in turn, decreases the amount of electricity needed to run your system.
3. Thermostats- Your agreementor checks all thermostats to make sure that they are set for the highest energy efficiency. Programmable thermostats will be set to keep your home at the right temperatures when you are at home and away.
4. Controls- Starting up your system tells the agreementor if everything operates normally, so when the time comes, your HVAC equipment won’t let you down.
5. Drains- The air conditioning units and furnace have condensate pans that water drains into. If the drain is plugged or not functioning normally, you can have water damage and high humidity levels in your home.
Some areas of inspection are specific to heating and cooling. Air conditioners, for example, have condenser coils that need cleaned and refrigerant that must be at the right level. Furnaces come with fuel burners and heat exchangers that could become cracked or dirty. Regularly scheduled maintenance catches these problems before they create serious issues and expensive repairs.
The benefits of an HVAC maintenance agreement for your home include:
- Reduced energy costs- A well-maintained HVAC system can save you up to 20% on your heating and cooling bills. For the average home, this could equate to about $200 each year.
- Extended system life- Most HVAC equipment will last at least 10-15 years if properly maintained. Regularly scheduled maintenance not only keeps it running, it keeps it running at peak efficiency until the time comes for replacement.
- Lower repair bills- A maintenance agreement can prevent costly repairs to your heating and cooling system. Like a tune-up for your car, regular maintenance is the best way for you to keep operating costs down over time.
A maintenance agreement for your home is a cheap insurance policy for your HVAC system. Contact us if you’d like more information about how you can benefit from one.
P.K. Wadsworth services the Greater Cleveland, OH area including cities Chagrin Falls, Shaker Heights, Eastlake or anywhere in between. To get started, check out our website.