These days, you can buy almost anything online: electronics, groceries, clothing and even furnaces. But, just because you can purchase a furnace online, doesn't mean you should. Yes, you might find what looks like a good deal, but there may be factors you have not considered. Company warranties may be voided if the following conditions are not met:
- The furnace must be installed, inspected, started and signed off by a licensed heating and cooling professional.
- All refrigerant handling laws must be followed.
- The furnace installation record must be accessible.
- Ductwork should be properly sized.
- Any applicable permits must be obtained.
- All local and state codes must be followed.
If you purchase a new furnace online, without the advice of a professional, it may be difficult to find a company that will do the installation for you. Factory warranties are sent through heating and cooling contractors, so they may only install equipment that they have supplied themselves. In addition to warranty concerns, you may encounter other unexpected hurdles:
- Your new furnace may get damaged during shipping. Sometimes the damage will be obvious, but only a trained professional will know exactly what to look for.
- If you purchase a high-efficiency furnace that is eligible for federal tax credits, an internet purchase may not provide all of the required documentation.
- You may purchase the wrong size. Even if you base the specifications on your current model, it still may not be the right size for your home.
- Most importantly, Your new furnace may not adapt well to your existing home and the ductwork that it connects to. A home comfort system is an engineered system that must matched to rated efficiency and comfort. This requires that the system be completely reviewed by home comfort specialist to assure proper performance.
The best way to ensure that you are getting the correct furnace model, and the most long-term value, is to purchase your new equipment through a professional who will also install it and then be accountable fully for its performance. In the Cleveland area, the professionals at P.K. Wadsworth can come to your home to calculate exactly what size furnace will meet your needs based on home size, energy use and existing ductwork. A new furnace is a significant investment that requires professional installation and maintenance. Don't risk your home investment on an internet purchase that could cost you in the long run. Contact us today to schedule a consultation and to find out details on how you may qualify for 2011 federal tax savings.
Photo credit: Editor B