The efficiency of your cooling system not only affects the comfort and health of your family, it affects annual energy costs and your system's life span. Routine air conditioning service and repair maximizes system efficiency, extends the system's life, and cuts energy costs while improving the comfort and indoor air quality of your home. The question is, how often should you schedule air conditioning service and repair to maximize system efficiency?
For maximum efficiency, professional air conditioning service and repair should be scheduled annually. During a maintenance call, your air conditioning service and repair technician should examine all parts of your system and make repairs and adjustments as necessary.
WHAT DOES AN AIR CONDITIONING SERVICE AND REPAIR CHECK?
Air conditioning service and repair checkups should address:
- The accuracy of thermostat settings.
- The operational safety of electrical connections.
- The lubrication of moving parts in the system.
- The cleanliness of the condensate drain.
- The operation and efficiency of system controls.
- Evaporator and condenser coils should be cleared of debris.
- Verify that no blockages have developed in the system that will impede the proper airflow through the system.
- Refrigerant levels should be adjusted to manufacturer specifications. Once the levels have been established, then routine temperature levels will verify it remains adequate. NOTE: It is a misnomer that the refrigerant wears out and needs to be "topped off" annually. If the level is low, there is a leak that ought to be found and repaired.
- Blower components should be evaluated and adjusted to maximize the flow of conditioned air.
In addition to annual professional air conditioning service and repair, you can monitor several aspects of your cooling system yourself between air conditioning service and repair maintenance calls:
- Inspect and clean air filters monthly, changing as needed to avoid clogged filters, which can hamper system efficiency and leave pollutants and particles in your air. This is key to proper operation!
- Ensure that your A/C coils remain free of debris between maintenance checkups.
- Monitor coil fins to ensure that a bent fin doesn’t obstruct airflow through the coil.
- Keep condensate drains clear of debris to prevent clogging, which can lead to overflow, water damage, humidity problems and mold.
Annual air conditioning service and repair ensures that your system will be running when you need it most. For more information on the benefits of annual air conditioning service and repair, contact P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling for expert consultation.
Photo credit: Jan Tik