Boilers are equipped with a number of safety systems that help prevent accidents. However, these safety features should be considered a last line of defense. Rather than waiting for a failure to happen, it is important to provide regular maintenance to keep the system in good working order.
An HVAC technician can provide ongoing boiler maintenance, which provides the following benefits:
- Prevents corrosion and damage. Water contains impurities that can cause corrosion and damage to boiler parts. To prevent this, it is important to make sure that there aren't any leaks in the system. Small leaks can easily be overlooked and the cumulative effect over time can be significant.
- Keeps the system clean and efficient. Another part of ongoing boiler maintenance is regularly cleaning and inspecting all accessible areas of the boiler. Keeping the system clean helps improve efficiency.
- Ensures the relief valve is working properly. The safety relief valve is your boiler's last defense against dangerously high pressure. The valve should be tested regularly and checked for buildup of mud and scale, which can prevent it from doing its job. If it leaks after the test, it needs to be replaced.
- Keeps the lines clear. Discharge lines can be become plugged, which can lead to leaks of very hot water or steam that can come in contact with your equipment, or even a person working on your boiler. Obviously, this is a potential safety concern and to be avoided if possible.
- Ensures safety features surrounding the boiler's flame are in working order. This safety feature starts a "purge cycle" before your boiler starts to oust any combustible gases that may be present. Your technician should make sure the safety feature is working.
- Ensures proper operation overall. Regular boiler maintenance involves checking for cracks and leaks, testing for weaknesses and performing routine inspections on all components of the system. Some accidents are unpredictable -- that's why they're accidents. But a trained professional technician's sharp eye can detect unusual conditions and follow up with a careful check, as well as repairs.
If you live in the Cleveland area and have questions about boiler maintenance, contact us at P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling. We're always glad to help.