The furnace is a crucial part of the home; in most homes, it serves as a central point for your heating and cooling system. Proper maintenance is the first step in preventing expensive furnace problems. There are also a few ways you can troubleshoot some common problems yourself, but don't forget to have your HVAC system inspected by a qualified technician at least once a year, and twice if possible. Here are some common furnace problems and troubleshooting tips:
- Furnace doesn't turn on - First off make sure that the thermostat is set for the proper operation and is set for the proper time. If your furnace has tripped the circuit breaker, turn it back on. If this doesn't seem to be the problem, or if the furnace seems to trip the breaker frequently, consult a professional.
- Furnace turns on, then shuts off quickly - Check the air filter and ducts for dust, debris and anything that might be blocking airflow. If you have a high-efficiency gas furnace, check the PVC pipe that leads outside for clogs-usually at the outside termination and is either ice or leaves.
- Furnace runs inefficiently - Ensure that most of the air vents in your home are open and check the furnace filter. A large number of common furnace problems can be traced back to a dirty filter.
Preventative Maintenance Tips
- Change or clean your furnace filter at least once per month (for the the standard inexpensive style of filter- some more expensive models can last a longer period- see other blog posts about filter maintenance) during periods of heavy use.
- Keep the area around your furnace, vent openings and exhaust fans clean. Anything that causes airflow to be blocked can make your equipment run inefficiently.
- Hire a heating and cooling professional to perform an inspection of your system at least once a year to identify major problems in its functioning.
If you have furnace problems and can't identify what is causing them, you'll need to schedule an appointment with an HVAC technician. A professional can identify your problems and devise a strategy for correction. Get HVAC problems fixed as soon as possible to help prevent major breakdowns and larger repair costs.
If you have more questions about furnace troubleshooting, or are looking for expert heating and cooling advice, contact us at P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling.