The best way to get a thorough understanding of your home’s energy use, and how you can improve it, is to hire a home energy audit business. Energy auditors will make a detailed inspection of your entire house. Using specialized diagnostic tools, calculations and your previous utility bills, they can tell you where the worst energy users are and provide suggestions for improving efficiency.
In the Greater Cleveland area, P.K. Wadsworth offers Home Performance Assessment services. During the two to four hour process, our BPI certified team will assess various areas of your home and how they work together.
Among the issues our technicians will consider:
- The state of your home’s insulation. Using techniques such as thermal imaging, we can see where the most heat is being lost through the shell of your building and look for areas of deterioration or where insulation was omitted.
- The efficiency and condition of your ductwork. Even if your ductwork is clean and well-sealed (many Greater Cleveland homes have dirty, leaky ducts), the very design or poor original installation practices could be impeding performance and wasting energy.
- How many air leaks you have, and how significant they are. Air leaks can be sealed with caulk, spray foam and other materials—but only if you know where they are.
- Indoor air circulation and ventilation. Keeping air cycling not only contributes to home comfort, but also to indoor air quality.
- How efficient your windows are. Windows are a common location for energy loss, but newer models can save much more money than older versions. Often simply tuning up older windows can also be an option versus a more expensive replacement.
- The condition and efficiency of electrical fixtures. Electric fixtures can leak as surely as a dripping faucet or cracked window.
Working with a professional home energy audit business can “paint a picture” of how the various systems in your home use energy. Only then can you know which actions would save the most money. It would be a shame to invest in new windows, for example, if what you really needed was ductwork improvements.
If you’re looking for a skilled home energy audit business, contact P.K. Wadsworth to schedule a Home Performance Assessment today. We’ve been proudly serving Greater Cleveland for more than 75 years.
Paul Wadsworth is the President and Owner of P.K. Wadsworth Heating and Cooling. For 37 years, Paul has been providing heating and cooling services to the Greater Cleveland area. P.K. Wadsworth has been a trusted Cleveland HVAC service company for 75 years. The company understand the area's construction and local heating and air conditioning needs. Paul has an MBA from the University of Michigan and a B.S., Industrial Engineering from Purdue University. He's been President of the Cleveland Air Conditioning Contractors of America and a founding member of the local chapter. Paul was born and raised in Cleveland and has been active in the local community. He resides in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and two sons.
The opinions and statements contained in this article are for general informational purposes only and are not instructions. Only trained, licensed and experienced personnel should attempt installation/repair. The author assumes no liability for the opinions/statements made in this article. Any individual attempting a repair or installation based on this article does so at their own risk of loss.