Smart programmable thermostats can give homeowners a unique edge over conventional devices. While they offer the same convenient, energy-saving settings as other programmable thermostats, remote access via the web allows you to maximize your investment — the way only technology can.
Both standard and smart programmable thermostats come in a variety of models and brands, but you will generally have four programming capabilities from which to choose:
1-week setting - If your schedule is the same all week long, this device will work for you, allowing you to set one schedule for every day of the week
- 5-2 program - For a little more flexibility, this model offers two settings: one for the weekend and one for the weekdays
- 5-1-1 setting - This more advanced model gives you even more flexibility, offering two weekend schedules and one weekday schedule
- 7-day option - Homeowners with widely varying schedules can benefit from this choice. You can schedule a different program for every day of the week
You can also purchase models that come with other features, such as touch screens, backlit displays and reminders.
Extending capabilities with smart technology
It’s not surprising that smart technology has extended to home-comfort equipment. You can now use a smartphone app or the Internet to control a smart programmable thermostat, which allows you to:
- Manage home temperatures when you’re not present.
- Change the thermostat’s setting ahead of the next programmed setting, which is particularly useful if you’ll arrive home ahead of your planned time.
- Program more settings, as some models come equipped with the maximum programmable settings possible, offering a different program for every day of the year.
- Lock out the controls so that family members cannot adjust the thermostat, which is useful if you’ve left a teenager or babysitter at home and you want to limit their access to the device.
- Problem alerts, the thermostat will contact you when problems have occurred or are brewing. This is particularly handy for people away from their homes for periods of time.
Are you ready to harness the power that a smart programmable thermostat has to offer? For expert advice or just to ask a question, contact P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling today! Serving Northeast Ohio since 1936.
Paul Wadsworth is the President and Owner of P.K. Wadsworth Heating and Cooling. For 37 years, Paul has been providing heating and cooling services to the Greater Cleveland area. P.K. Wadsworth has been a trusted Cleveland HVAC service company for 75 years. The company understand the area's construction and local heating and air conditioning needs. Paul has an MBA from the University of Michigan and a B.S., Industrial Engineering from Purdue University. He's been President of the Cleveland Air Conditioning Contractors of America and a founding member of the local chapter. Paul was born and raised in Cleveland and has been active in the local community. He resides in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and two sons.
The opinions and statements contained in this article are for general informational purposes only and are not instructions. Only trained, licensed and experienced personnel should attempt installation/repair. The author assumes no liability for the opinions/statements made in this article. Any individual attempting a repair or installation based on this article does so at their own risk of loss.