Without the ductwork in your home heating and cooling systems, your furnace, air conditioner, or heat pump would be practically useless. All of the air used by your HVAC equipment travels through either the supply or return ductwork. If your ductwork system is preventing your HVAC system from keeping your home at the proper temperature, air duct replacement may be necessary.
Signs of ductwork problems include:
- Unexpected increases in your heating or cooling bills
- Stuffy, uncomfortable rooms that are difficult to heat or cool
- Increased amounts of dust and other particulates in your indoor air
In some cases, reseating and sealing duct connections may be sufficient to solve these problems. However, there are circumstances in which air duct replacement may be necessary.
- Inadequate supply ducts: The supply ducts that carry heated and cooled air from the main HVAC unit may not be designed and placed properly for the job. If they are too small, airflow will be restricted and not enough conditioned air will get into your home. If they are too large, they are likely to waste energy and air. If they are not installed in the proper configuration, they may be unable to carry and distribute an adequate amount of air for your home.
- Faulty return ducts: Return ducts bring air from the inside of your home back to the HVAC unit. The air is then filtered, reheated or recooled, and distributed again. If return ducts are not the right size, are inadequately designed, or are placed in areas where it is difficult for them to achieve proper return airflow, they may need to be replaced.
- Significant air leaks: Major air leaks may require a complete replacement of your ductwork system. If many sections of the ductwork require sealing, or if there are severely damaged or missing duct sections anywhere within the network, a total ductwork system replacement might be a good idea.
P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling has been serving the HVAC needs of customers in the greater Cleveland area for more than 75 years. Contact us today for expert help in determining if air duct replacement in your home HVAC system is necessary.
Paul Wadsworth is the President and Owner of P.K. Wadsworth Heating and Cooling. For 37 years, Paul has been providing heating and cooling services to the Greater Cleveland area. P.K. Wadsworth has been a trusted Cleveland HVAC service company for 75 years. The company understand the area's construction and local heating and air conditioning needs. Paul has an MBA from the University of Michigan and a B.S., Industrial Engineering from Purdue University. He's been President of the Cleveland Air Conditioning Contractors of America and a founding member of the local chapter. Paul was born and raised in Cleveland and has been active in the local community. He resides in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and two sons.
The opinions and statements contained in this article are for general informational purposes only and are not instructions. Only trained, licensed and experienced personnel should attempt installation/repair. The author assumes no liability for the opinions/statements made in this article. Any individual attempting a repair or installation based on this article does so at their own risk of loss.