Hiring an HVAC contractor with the proper training, experience and credentials will ensure your newly installed home cooling system works efficiently, reliably and safely.
Here's a brief checklist covering what you should look for when hiring an air-conditioning contractor for your job.
- Make sure your contractor is properly licensed to perform HVAC work by your state's licensing board. Also ensure that the contractor is insured and bonded and meets any other state or local requirements.
- Ask for and check at least three references from the contractor's list of prior customers. If possible, check the local Better Business Bureau or Chamber of Commerce for information on the contractor. Reputable contractors work hard to build and maintain a good reputation.
- Look for professional certifications and organization memberships. Technicians who have been certified by testing organizations such as NATE can be relied on to have high levels of skill and expertise. Membership in organizations such as the Air Conditioning Contractors of America (ACCA) indicates professional involvement with and interest in the HVAC industry as a whole.
- Make sure your contractor explains the operation of your new equipment to you and gives you copies of relevant material such as owner's manuals, equipment information sheets and warranties.
- Ask your contractor to get any necessary permits for the installation work. He or she will likely know the process thoroughly and be acquainted with the regulatory personnel who grant construction and remodeling permits.
- Make sure the duct system is inspected and any air leaks, broken seals, missing or loose ductwork segments, or damaged portions are fixed or replaced. Leaky ducts can account for large amounts of wasted energy and money.
- Have the contractor perform a load calculation on your home to determine how much cooling is needed. With this information, you can buy an air conditioner that's exactly the right size for your comfort requirements.
Over four generations of the Wadsworth family, P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling brings more than 75 years of HVAC industry experience to their valued customers throughout greater Cleveland and northeast Ohio. Contact us today for more information on hiring an air conditioning contractor and for fast, reliable answers to your pre-hiring questions and concerns.
photo credit: StockMonkeys.comFollow @PKwadsworth
Paul Wadsworth is the President and Owner of P.K. Wadsworth Heating and Cooling. For 37 years, Paul has been providing heating and cooling services to the Greater Cleveland area. P.K. Wadsworth has been a trusted Cleveland HVAC service company for 75 years. The company understand the area's construction and local heating and air conditioning needs. Paul has an MBA from the University of Michigan and a B.S., Industrial Engineering from Purdue University. He's been President of the Cleveland Air Conditioning Contractors of America and a founding member of the local chapter. Paul was born and raised in Cleveland and has been active in the local community. He resides in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and two sons.
The opinions and statements contained in this article are for general informational purposes only and are not instructions. Only trained, licensed and experienced personnel should attempt installation/repair. The author assumes no liability for the opinions/statements made in this article. Any individual attempting a repair or installation based on this article does so at their own risk of loss.