Most of what makes a heat pump a great investment in efficiency and performance depends upon a regular heat pump tune-up to keep it in optimal condition. The manufacturer’s energy efficiency specs that may have inspired you to upgrade to heat pump technology are based on the assumption that this procedure is carried out at least once a year. Neglecting annual maintenance can cause efficiency losses of up to 25 percent, potentially wiping out all the advantages of installing heat pump technology in the first place.
The heat pump tune-up also allows the technician to look for signs of minor problems before they turn into major expenses further down the road — like on the hottest day this summer. That’s why an annual check-up by an HVAC professional is usually one of the requirements to keep your warranty valid.
Carried out by a trained HVAC professional, the procedure only takes an hour or so. Here’s what the technician will do during a typical tune-up:
- Change the air filter and visually inspect the ductwork at the air handler for signs of deterioration and leakage.
- Check the indoor coil for dirt or growing mold. Recommend cleaning if required.
- Measure the airflow passing through the evaporator coil and compare to manufacturer’s specifications.
- Check the refrigerant charge. If it’s low, recommend leak detection procedure.
- Inspect all electrical connections and clean and tighten.
- Lubricate the blower motor where required. Check the blower fan belt for wear and proper tension.
- Verify that the drain lines are open.
- Check operation of system controls to verify that the cooling and heating functions cannot operate simultaneously.
- At the outdoor coil, cut back weeds or vegetation to create air space around the vents.
- Clean the outdoor coil of dust, leaves and other debris.
- Check the calibration of the thermostat and re-calibrate if necessary.
- After restarting the system, make sure all supply and return vents in the home are open and not obstructed by furniture or other objects.
In Cleveland, rely on P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling for prompt, professional service. Get ready for summer by calling us to schedule a heat pump tune-up now.
photo credit: ezra1311Follow @PKwadsworth
Paul Wadsworth is the President and Owner of P.K. Wadsworth Heating and Cooling. For 37 years, Paul has been providing heating and cooling services to the Greater Cleveland area. P.K. Wadsworth has been a trusted Cleveland HVAC service company for 75 years. The company understand the area's construction and local heating and air conditioning needs. Paul has an MBA from the University of Michigan and a B.S., Industrial Engineering from Purdue University. He's been President of the Cleveland Air Conditioning Contractors of America and a founding member of the local chapter. Paul was born and raised in Cleveland and has been active in the local community. He resides in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and two sons.
The opinions and statements contained in this article are for general informational purposes only and are not instructions. Only trained, licensed and experienced personnel should attempt installation/repair. The author assumes no liability for the opinions/statements made in this article. Any individual attempting a repair or installation based on this article does so at their own risk of loss.