Replacing your filters on a regular basis is a critical component of overall HVAC efficiency. Clogged and dirty air filters are the leading cause of filter-related airflow obstructions in HVAC systems. In addition to making your heating and cooling system work harder to distribute conditioned air to your living space, a dirty air filter causes excess wear and tear and can compromise your indoor air quality.
Your air filter should be changed per the manufacturer's instructions. However, experts recommend monthly filter replacement for the following reasons:
- Increased energy efficiency - As dirt begins to accumulate in your filter, the fan motor has to work harder to force the air through the filter and into your ductwork. And the harder your system works, the more energy it consumes.
- Reduce wear and tear - Do you know what the main cause of HVAC system failure is? Clogged filters. As you can imagine, the harder mechanical parts are working, the more wear and tear they incur. That means repairs are needed more frequently, which adds up to significant repair bills over the course of your system's lifetime. Changing the air filter will help to reduce wear and tear and increase your HVAC's life span.
- Improve your indoor air quality - Once your air filter is clogged, the remaining air is circulating with all of the particulate matter included, such as dust mites, pet dander, mold spores and other allergens. This will compromise your indoor air quality, which can lead to severe symptoms for allergy sufferers, as well as other more serious respiratory problems.
- Air purifier or Bio-nest - Most filters simply trap contaminants but do not neutralize them. These contaminates remain active and concentrated on the filter surface and create further problems such as volatile organic compounds (VOC's) and other issues.as time goes on. Fortunately, advanced filters called air purifiers now offer the ability to render these contaminants chemically inert by actually breaking them down to inactive components.
- Keep your warranty - Many heating and cooling system warranties are only valid as long as the system's maintained properly, including preventive maintenance and regular filter changes. Sacrificing your system's warranty for something as simple as a missed filter replacement could cost you significantly.
For more information about air filter replacement or HVAC upgrades for your Cleveland home, contact P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling. We've provided efficient HVAC service for more than 75 years.Follow @PKwadsworth
Paul Wadsworth is the President and Owner of P.K. Wadsworth Heating and Cooling. For 37 years, Paul has been providing heating and cooling services to the Greater Cleveland area. P.K. Wadsworth has been a trusted Cleveland HVAC service company for over 75 years. The company understand the area's construction and local heating and air conditioning needs. Paul has an MBA from the University of Michigan and a B.S., Industrial Engineering from Purdue University. Paul is the Chairman of COSE's Energy Advisory Council. He's been President of the Cleveland Air Conditioning Contractors of America and a founding member of the local chapter. Paul was born and raised in Cleveland and has been active in the local community. He resides in Cleveland, Ohio with his wife and two sons.
The opinions and statements contained in this article are for general informational purposes only and are not instructions. Only trained, licensed and experienced personnel should attempt installation/repair. The author assumes no liability for the opinions/statements made in this article. Any individual attempting a repair or installation based on this article does so at their own risk of loss.