Cleveland-area homeowners can employ a variety of strategies to improve their indoor air quality. Three of the most highly recommended strategies are controlling the source of pollutants in the first place, whole-house ventilation and the use of air cleaners. But here's an effective method that is often overlooked: a good HVAC maintenance plan.
How can an HVAC maintenance plan improve indoor air quality? By maximizing your system's effectiveness and efficiency, you’ll enjoy lower energy costs and cleaner air. That's because an HVAC maintenance plan prevents many of the system problems that lead to uncomfortable or contaminated air in the first place.
BENEFITS OF AN HVAC MAINTENANCE PLAN
- Your technician will inspect your home's ductwork. Leaks and tears in your ductwork can cause the loss of conditioned air and pull unwanted contaminants into your HVAC system for distribution throughout your home. Leaky ducts also can be responsible for humidity fluctuations, inconsistent temperatures and foul odors.
- Exhaust flues will be checked for proper ventilation to ensure combustion byproducts aren’t seeping back into your home, which could seriously compromise the health of your family.
- Your technician will change your air filters, taking care to ensure that you have the best filter for the job. Improper or clogged filters can cause the distribution of contaminants through your home, strain your system and increase energy costs.
- Condensate drains will be cleared of blockages. If left unchecked, a blocked condensate drain can lead to standing water, leakage and eventual moisture damage. It can also lead to mold, a contaminant that can be detrimental to your health.
- Your system's cycling will be evaluated for efficiency. If your system isn’t cycling (turning on and off) properly, it can cause humidity problems and reduce energy efficiency.
These are just a few of the potential air-quality issues addressed by an HVAC maintenance plan. To learn more, please contact us at P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling. We're always glad to answer questions.