Is your heater aging? Have you considered upgrading your Cleveland heating system? If you answered yes to either of these questions, you may be wondering if installing a high energy efficiency furnace is worth it. Here are some important points to consider:
How a High Energy Efficiency Furnace Works
Furnaces use a special rating to show how efficient they are at converting energy into heat. This rating is called the AFUE – short for Annual Fuel Utilization Efficiency. This means that if you have a furnace with an AFUE rating of 80% that 80% of the energy is getting turned into heat and the remaining 20% is lost, so basically you are throwing 20% away and still paying for it.
There are two different types of furnaces, both of them have different AFUE efficiencies:
- A conventional furnace or mid efficiency furnace has an AFUE between 80%-83%
- A condensing furnace or high efficiency furnace has an AFUE between 90%-98%
It may seem that it makes sense to just go with the high efficiency furnace but the one drawback people have is that this can mean more upfront when it comes to the cost of the unit and installation.
For the most part, the advantages outweigh the cost of installation. Not only could you be getting close to 100% of your energy turned into heat but you will also be saving money on energy costs.
A high efficiency furnace makes a lot of sense in areas like Cleveland that suffer from extremes in the winter months. This is because your furnace is on a lot and working hard for a longer period than milder areas in the country.
This means that you get a better return on the added investment required with a high efficiency heating system. Additionally, this means that you are improving the value of your home, too.
Upgrading Your Cleveland Heating System
If you are considering upgrading your Cleveland heating system, the team at P.K.Wadsworth can help you make the right choice for your home. We will assess your heating needs and give you suggestions on how to best heat your home. We will then install the new system for you so that you can enjoy a warm home this winter.