Can Old Furnaces Create Carbon Monoxide? Heating Health Tips

Is Your Old Furnace Putting Your Home at Risk? Protect Your Home From Carbon Monoxide

HVAC technician performing a professional CO test

As your furnace ages, it can present many problems. It not only becomes unreliable and inefficient but can also become dangerous. One common hazard with older furnaces is carbon monoxide poisoning. In this article, the HVAC experts at P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling discuss signs that you and your family are being exposed to carbon monoxide in your Cleveland home so that you can replace your old furnace before experiencing any serious health repercussions.

If you’re concerned that your old furnace may endanger your family, call P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling at (440) 248-2110 to schedule furnace services today!

Why Older Furnaces Can Put Your Home at Risk

The average life span of a gas furnace is around 15 to 20 years. As the system gets toward the end of its life span, years of wear and tear may finally cause problems. Most concerning is rust or cracks on the heat exchanger that can lead to carbon monoxide leaks.

4 Signs of Carbon Monoxide in Your Home

Carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can cause serious health issues and even death. That’s why it’s critical to be aware of the signs that your family may be exposed.

Frequent Headaches & Shortness of Breath

The first signs of exposure to carbon monoxide include headaches and shortness of breath. As your exposure continues, these headaches may become worse, and you can experience additional symptoms, including dizziness, fatigue, and nausea. Eventually, symptoms become more severe and can include confusion, impaired coordination, and loss of consciousness.

Illness Symptoms Only at Home

If you or your family members feel ill but only inside the home, this may be a sign of carbon monoxide in the house. Since early symptoms include headaches and nausea, it can be easy to confuse for a simple bug, but if your symptoms go away once you’re away from your home, carbon monoxide is a likely culprit.

Soot Marks Around Your Fireplace

Soot is made of uncombusted carbon released from natural gas. If your fireplace has excess soot, there may be an issue with unhealthy combustion and a potential for carbon monoxide poisoning. Schedule furnace maintenance services to determine the cause of the soot and define the necessary steps to keep your home safe.

Condensation on Windows

Condensation is a critical sign that your furnace isn’t venting properly. Since water vapor is a byproduct of combustion, excess moisture in the home indicates that exhaust gasses like carbon monoxide aren’t venting outside as they should.

Other Possible Causes of Carbon Monoxide

Older furnaces aren’t the only cause of carbon monoxide poisoning. Other issues include:

  • Unvented kerosene and gas space heaters
  • Leaking chimneys
  • Back-drafting from furnaces, gas water heaters, wood stoves, and fireplaces
  • Gas stoves
  • Generators and other gasoline-powered equipment
  • Automobile exhaust from attached garages
  • Tobacco smoke

Get a $29 Safety Inspection With P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling for Your Older Furnace

Get the ultimate peace of mind with a $29 safety inspection from our HVAC experts! Our trained and certified technicians with over 85 years in the business will ensure your furnace works properly and safely. We offer superior furnace replacement services if it’s old and beyond repair. Plus, with over 32,000 five-star reviews, it’s no wonder we’re Cleveland’s top choice for HVAC service!

Request Service

Why Choose P.K. Wadsworth Heating & Cooling?

Cleveland’s Home Comfort Provider Since 1936
  • Over 85 years in business
  • Family-owned & operated
  • Trained & certified technicians
  • On-time & reliable services
  • Maintenance plans available
  • Same-day services
  • Over 2k five-star google reviews from customers